Apr 5, 2010

Interview . Anna Katsanis


I'm happy to be featuring Anna Katsanis as the first stylist to be interviewed by Skinny Intern. In the past I have done interviews with female photographers, but I have yet to interview a stylist. With Anna's latest work gracing the cover of the newest issue of Zink, I thought that now would be a perfect time to do the feature, not that this is her first time appearing in Zink Magazine or even being published. She already has some pretty amazing credentials in magazines such as; FantasticMag, Blank Magazine,Chaos, Dirrtyglam, and the list goes on...

"How do you decide on a concept when styling for a shoot:
It can be something I have seen from a movie, an art exhibit, a song, an experience, people on the streets, I never know where its going to come from but it has to be something I am interested in and have a deep connection to."


Stylist . Anna Katsanis
What gets you pumped up for a shoot:
When all the elements come together perfectly and everyone is on the same page.
Guiltiest pleasure:
...reality television...
What has been your favorite shoot thus far in your career:
A black and white shoot I styled for Karen Magazine, pictured below, it has a very Peter Lindbergh feel to it.
What’s your obsession:
Handbags
What does sexy mean to you:
Being confident, and willing to try new things
Bad habit:
Biting my nails
Have you ever been star struck:
Yes, when I met some of my favorite musicians.
(Christian Machado, lead singer of Ill Nino and Jesse, leader singer of 10 years. Even though I didn't meet him, I was inches away, Jerry cantrell from Alice in Chains.)
Who's your inspiration:
Everyday people who do extraordinary things
Have you ever been in love:
yes, for 6 years now.
Favorite photographer:
Steven Meisel
How do you decide on a concept when styling for a shoot:
It can be something I have seen from a movie, an art exhibit, a song, an experience, people on the streets, I never know where its going to come from but it has to be something I am interested in and have a deep connection to.
If you could work with anyone in the industry, who would it be:
Sebastian Kim, Joshua Jordan, Eric Guillemain are my favorites at the moment.
Favorite supermodel:
Isabeli Fontana
What's one style and/or designer that you will never tire of:
Maison Martin Margiela
Are you a tomboy:
Yes, I love my oxfords and dress shirts.
If you could live anywhere, where would it be:
The greatest city in the world, New York, where I currently reside.
Something everyone should know about you:
I am extremely hardworking and loyal
Since your a blog junkie what's your favorite blogs:
Jak and Jil , sea of shoes
Favorite Designers and why:
Maison Martin Margiela, because I love the interesting shapes and silhouettes. Prada, Yves Saint Laurent, Rodarte, Rick Owens, Lanvin, Balenciaga. Love the overall construction of their pieces and use of fabrics.
When did you start doing styling and why?What inspired you to get into it?
I interned at different magazines such as Interview, Harper’s Bazaar, Elle, so I was definitely inspired to get into styling after working with some of the most talented fashion directors/ and editors in the industry. I started 3 years ago because I have always been enamored with photo shoots and clothes.
What's the one article you can't ever live with out:
leggings.
Some goals:
To be in Vogue, and W; be signed to a good agency, continue working with more creative minds who love what they do.
How would you describe your style.
Comfortable, boyish.
Where do you hope to see yourself in 10 years?
Hope to be published in magazines such as Dazed, V, Numero, i-D, Harper’s, 10, Vogue, W. I haven't thought that far ahead, I take each day as it comes.
What do you like about the fashion industry and what do you not like about the industry?
I don’t like that so many projects are unpaid and people’s work is so undervalued. Sometimes people don't get the recognition that they deserve. I love how we all inspire one another in one way or another and how people are connectors.

Any advice for upcoming stylist?
Don’t think that it is at all glamorous, it is hard, grueling work. Treat your contacts well, be professional. Thank you cards go a long way.


1 comment:

hoodb4 said...

that was a great interview....i especially liked her musical interest...(jerry Cantrell/AIC)!
NiCe!